Only the best for your pets
Dzungarian hamsters, like any other pets, require proper care, especially this applies to their nutrition. They are unpretentious in food, but not everything can be offered to them, since an improper diet can lead to significant health problems.
Hamsters eat during the day many times and are not picky in comparison with other domestic animals. They will use any product that will be put in a bowl, but such a food organization can lead to various diseases and shorten the life of a rodent.
For the full development and as prevention of all kinds of diseases, the nutrition of hamsters is required to be built according to the following rules:
- Daily ration – This is 60% carbohydrates, 20% protein, the rest is greens, fruits, vegetables and other additives.
- Make the menu varied. It is necessary to give cereal products, meat, vegetables, fruits, berries, herbs, vitamins if necessary:
- cereals are the foundation of the diet, it is necessary to feed such food daily;
- vegetables go every day;
- greens, but previously slightly dried, 3-4 times a week;
- fruit – once a week;
- berries – 1 time in 2-3 weeks;
- meat or fish – 1 time in 5 days;
- vitamin supplements (if there is such a need) – 2 times a week. Tip: seeds should go as a treat and offered occasionally.
An interesting fact: in one day an adult hamster can eat about 70% of its own body weight.
What can a hamster eat
It is necessary that the pet receives:
This mixture includes:
Note: rice is allowed, but little by little and occasionally.
- meat, but only dietary: turkey, beef or rabbit. Meat should not be offered raw. Each product needs to be boiled or steamed. Note: chicken is allowed, but exclusively breast;
- chicken and quail eggs. Interesting fact: quail is more useful for hamsters;
- dairy: low-fat yogurt and cottage cheese;
- greenery: nettle, dandelions, plantain, leaves of apple, birch, alder or apricot;
- fruits: bananas, apples and pears. Tip: the most useful fruit for hamsters is a green apple;
- vegetables: eggplant, zucchini, carrots, broccoli, radishes, turnips, beets. Must be given every other day. Tip: cucumbers, radishes, celery and cauliflower can be included in the diet, but only not more than twice a month and in the absence of individual contraindications, for example, digestive problems;
- berries: mountain ash, raspberries, strawberries, currants (especially white or black), sea buckthorn, cherries, lingonberries, barberries. Such berries can be offered exclusively seasonal and at most once a week. Tip: you should not give different types of berries, just stop at one or two, for example, raspberries and currants.
For newborn hamsters, it is recommended to cook cereals (but not in milk) or soak cereals for 3-4 hours in warm water. Also, for such kids, a boiled turkey, necessarily finely chopped, is suitable.
Tip: if the hamster suffers from an upset stomach, then you can cook him boiled rice.
The following products should not be given to any Dzungarian hamster:
- caramel, ice cream, chocolate, cookies, waffles and other sweets;
- smoked meats;
- any salty foods;
- peas or beans;
- cow and goat milk;
- any kind of cheese;
- shrimp, squid and other seafood;
- pine nuts or Brazil nuts, pistachios;
- chestnuts and acorns;
- any fruit pits, for example apricot, plum, peach;
- some vegetables: potatoes, cabbage, garlic and onions;
- melons, watermelons;
- any citrus fruits;
- exotic fruits, for example, mango or pineapple;
- any grape variety;
- dill, sorrel and parsley.
Tip: Avoid any high-calorie foods. The weight of the Dzungarian hamsters is small, so even a small piece of the forbidden products for them can lead to poisoning, up to the death of the animal.
Important: products that promote gas formation, such as cabbage or beans, can be fatal in 3-4 hours.
Water for the Dzungarian hamster
Drinking such pets is required regularly, therefore, a bowl of water should be in the cage around the clock.
The main thing that:
- The water was clear. Tip: give only filtered or spring. Boiled water is contraindicated.
- Make sure that no foreign objects float in the liquid bowl.
- Change the water at least 3 times a day.
- Wash a bowl daily.
Any juices, fruit drinks or decoctions for drinking hamsters are contraindicated.
Vitamins and Minerals
When choosing vitamin supplements, you need to make sure that:
- They must contain vitamins E and D.
- They are produced specifically for Dzungarian hamsters.
- It must be remembered that often all the required vitamins are included in many dry feeds, the main thing is to carefully study what is indicated on the package itself.
Advice: if such components are present in the composition of the feed, then additional vitamins should not be given to the pet. Otherwise, there will be an overdose, which will adversely affect the health of the rodent.
Important: giving vitamins or minerals that are intended for people is prohibited. The risk of mortal danger to the pet is very high.
There are a lot of feeds on sale, they all differ in composition, ratio of ingredients, as well as price.
The best feeds for Dzhungar hamsters are called:
Versele-Laga "Prestige Mini Hamster Nature", it is balanced, it contains all the required vitamins, proteins, fruits, and more. Note: this food contains a small amount of pineapple. If the pet has an increased body weight, then it is more advisable to remove such a fruit from the package. The average price of a pack of 400 grams is in the range of 250-300 rubles.
Versele-Laga "Prestige Mini Hamster Nature"
Jr farm hamster considered one of the most beloved among the Dzungarian hamsters. Contains all the ingredients necessary for proper development. Its feature is an increased amount of substances (prebiotics) that improve the digestive system. An interesting fact: the consumption of such food reduces specific odors from hamsters. The cost per package (400 grams) is about 350 rubles.
Jr farm hamster
Chica Bio feed of the Russian manufacturer, the composition is rich in cereals and various vitamins. It is well absorbed even in newborn rodents, most importantly, soak the grains before serving. The price of one pack (900 grams) in the range of 150-200 rubles.
It is better not to store any purchased food in the manufacturer’s packaging, but to pour it into a glass container and close it with a lid.