For nearly 100 years, these animals were considered extinct. And only in the first half of the last century, the case helped scientists find the family of Syrian hamsters in the wild. With trepidation, zoologists studied the animals of this breed. Thanks to their work, we now know everything about Syrian hamsters. – What is better to feed them, how to care for them, what diseases await them and how their pregnancy proceeds. We are ready to share knowledge on the care and maintenance of Syrian hamsters when breeding them at home with beginner owners.
Most owners involved in breeding Syrian hamsters at home, take ready-made grain mixtures as the basis of their pets rations.
By adjusting for age, state of health, gender, and even individual gastronomic preferences, the food of the Syrian hamster can be varied with various additives.
You can determine how and what to feed the Syrian hamster (often called golden) by this table:
Having identified the products that your hamster loves, indulge your pet with them, unless among them:
Other foods that Golden Hamsters should not be fed:
- sweets and fruit juices;
- cabbage, sorrel, onions, garlic;
- butter, cream, sour cream;
- branches of conifers;
- any fried and fatty foods.
Berries, fruits and twigs of fruit trees, potatoes, corn and boiled beans in the diet are welcome.
It is important to correctly determine the portion sizes: they should be small, and food should always be fresh.
Hamsters can be pampered with lettuce, pea sprouts, dairy-free cereals and mashed potatoes, which feed children up to a year.
Hamsters cannot eat more than one type of wet food per day.
It is necessary to feed the future mother denser. In her cage there should always be bowls with clean water and fresh herbs.
The menu can be diversified with chicken and low-fat cottage cheese. A tablet of calcium gluconate or a piece of chalk can be put directly on the floor, in one of the corners of the cell.
In order for the females to remain healthy, and the babies to develop correctly, when breeding golden hamsters, their reproduction must be controlled!
Hardened teeth and small motor activity require a change in nutrition.
So, daily grinding of solid feed and vegetable additives should be part of caring for an old hamster.
Also, aged pets can be given milk-free baby cereals and vitamin supplements.
In case of illness, the diet is adjusted. In this case, the veterinarian will help determine the set of products necessary for the given period to the golden hamster.
For example, if the disease is associated with being overweight, you should make the menu more dietary.
Syrian Hamster Content
The care and maintenance of Syrian hamsters is a responsible matter. And this business should begin with the arrangement of the cell. There are so many bright beautiful houses for rodents! How to determine which of them will be more convenient for the pet?
A cage with a floor measuring 40 cm x 60 cm will be suitable for a single hamster. Tall houses can please the owner’s eye, but for a hamster, the number of storeys is unimportant!
Inside the large house, the cells should be:
- hut, feeding trough and drinking bowl;
- labyrinths and a wheel, the dimensions of which must correspond to the dimensions and age of the pet;
- a tray so that the hamster does not relieve the need on the floor.
The floor of the cell is covered with sawdust, the purpose of which is to absorb moisture and absorb odors. On the floor do not leave cotton wool, napkins, scraps of newspapers.
The cell must be regularly taken care of:
- daily wash dishes;
- change the litter on the floor every week;
- the hut, tray and other “environment” once a month should be treated with soapy water.
After such cleaning, the floor is lined with a new coating, and some twig with the smell of a hamster, stored at the beginning of cleaning, is left in the cage.
Diseases to which these animals are exposed
Attentiveness requires predisposition of golden hamsters to obesity. That is why the cage should have as many shells for outdoor games as possible.
Hamsters moving freely around the apartment can become a victim of an accident. Having fallen off a high shelf or running in an improperly selected wheel, animals can break a leg. By negligence, the owners themselves can cause harm to miniature pets.
Very often, impressionable Syrian hamsters suffer from stresses, which can be caused by a new cage neighbor, loud noises, the appearance of a cat or dog in the house.
Syrian hamsters are affected by parasitic diseases. Animals can also get pneumonia, catch fleas. And mistakes in the preparation of the diet very often lead to allergic reactions, indigestion.
Young individuals in winter may suffer from rickets.
Summarizing the above, we note that there are quite a few diseases that can affect Syrian hamsters. The most common ones that are caused by unbalanced nutrition, improper care, parasites and viruses.
The first symptoms of the disease
Understand that the Syrian hamster brings health, you can on the following grounds:
- deviations in behavior (aggressiveness, lethargy, adynamia, etc.);
- impaired appetite;
- poor condition of the coat, the appearance of bald spots;
- feces of the “wrong” color and consistency.
When breeding Syrian hamsters for mating, you should prepare a couple in which the female is at least four months old, and the male is three.
The breeding of golden hamsters occurs year-round, the pregnancy of females lasts 18 days, after which 4-15 babies are born. The lactation period in females of Syrian hamsters is 4 weeks.
All this time the owner should not touch the cubs with his hands. Otherwise, they are threatened by a terrible reprisal: they can be eaten by their own mother.
The same fate awaits babies, if the mother for some reason (stress, unbalanced diet) dramatically decreases milk production.
Often the attacks of cannibalism affect young mothers whose first mating took place too early. Therefore, breeding Syrian hamsters, although it is not difficult, but requires attention to such details.
How to tame rodents in your hands?
Surely the owners, engaged in breeding hamsters, expect some kind of communication with the animals and want to tame them. Where should the taming of Syrian hamsters begin?
- Step one. Here, as they say, you need to trample on the spot: the first days of your stay in your home Syrian hamster should not disturb the animal. This is his time: the hamster is gradually getting used to the new environment, your look and voice. Changing the water or filling the feeder, little by little start talking to your pet.
- Step Two Offer the pet a delicacy by sticking a hand into the cage. If the hamster grabs a treat and runs away into a hut – consider this a small victory! Feed the Syrian hamster from your hand every day.
- Step Three This step makes the hamster. Having got used to a hand on which there is always something tasty for him, he climbs onto this hand. Do not try to grab the pet – not the time. If you behave inadvertently at this stage, the Syrian hamster can bite painfully.
- Step Four Has he already got used to your hand and began to climb on it even without goodies? Carefully stroke the hamster with his free palm. If he was not afraid and did not run away, you became friends.
Keep the Syrian hamster delicate all the time – and you will never lose the trust of this smart and funny animal!