Natural feeds contain substances and microelements necessary for rodents, and fiber, which beneficially affects the digestive process. However, not all juicy greens from those that the beast eats are safe for the animal and not every one will like it. Grass for hamsters should be rich in vitamins. What kind of grass can hamsters be given and what is its benefit?
Grass for hamsters
Plant food is the basis of the diet of any rodent. It is enough for Syrian, Dzungarian and other popular domestic breeds to eat only it so that the body receives all the elements necessary for its healthy functioning.
- Building material is carbohydrates and proteins.
- Vitamins A and C, which increase the body’s resistance to diseases and increase the general tone of the body.
- A wealth of elements such as calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, copper.
- A source of dietary fiber for the gastrointestinal tract.
- Cure and prevention of certain diseases like oncology, problems with the gastrointestinal tract, colds.
Also, the rodent, in addition to eating, uses fresh and dry greens for the construction of nests and cozy rookeries. This instinct was transmitted to them from wild relatives. So, greens should always be present in the cage of your pets, and you need to give it regularly. But the important thing is what kind of grass hamsters eat because not everyone is able to benefit them.
The opinion that all greens have a beneficial effect on the body is wrong. Before introducing a particular type into the diet, you should consult a specialist or familiarize yourself with training materials.
So, what kind of grass can be given to hamsters:
- weed: leaves of dandelion, nettle;
- garden: dill, parsley, lettuce, tops of a certain vegetable;
- fodder: clover, wheat, alfalfa;
- medicinal: plantain, wild rose;
- leaves of apple, cherry, apricot, willow, maple.
The basis of such a selection is not only the principle of utility; hamster tastes are also considered. If you see that the animal does not eat a certain type of food, replace it with a similar one in usefulness. The composition of nutrients and taste in these options varies. Most of them can be included in your pet’s daily diet, while some will help with certain diseases.
- Greens from the garden, grown without the use of pesticides – the best source of B vitamins, carotenoids, ascorbic acid. Regular consumption of garden greens by hamsters will increase their immunity and reduce the risk of cataracts, as well as improve the health of rodent teeth due to the high content of calcium. Champion in the amount of magnesium is celery, but the hamster may not like it because of its specific taste. Start with a small dose.
- Carrot tops will reduce your risk of developing diabetes because it contains healthy sugar. Strengthens the skeletal system and raises the muscle tone of the beast. Goodies such as celery and Beijing cabbage are given to hamsters no more than once a week. As for the lawn type of greenery, a pet can be allowed to feast on it only if it is young and environmentally friendly.
- Wild Vitamin E Champion – Dandelion Leaf. Their use positively affects the eyes of rodents, and also improves the condition of the coat, skin, increases appetite. The problem is the bitter taste of dandelion – hamsters may refuse to eat leaves. Put them discreetly in food, removing the core. The source of iodine for the animal will be the shoots of young nettles. Fresh wheat grass is an excellent natural antioxidant that prevents the onset and growth of tumors. Some plants, such as wormwood, require medical advice before being introduced into the diet.
- Juicy meadow flowers: clover, alfalfa – sources of protein and vitamin B. But the highest concentration of these substances is collected in seedlings, and not in mature plants. Plantain is famous for its antimicrobial effect. If your pet has wounds in the mouth, separate the leaves from the stems and give the hamster food. With this problem, pink or rose hips will also help.
Not all grass is healthy
Along with recommended plants, there are those that can harm the hamster. What exactly and what threatens their use?
- Sorrel, despite the vitamins contained in it, can cause an allergy or irritation of the mucosa in a rodent.
- From cabbage a fragile animal will swell.
- Poisonous for the hamster are potato tops and sprouts.
- Garlic and onions, not only have a pungent odor, also provoke allergic reactions in many rodents. Mint and lemon balm are banned for the same reason.
It is strictly forbidden to tear greens to hamsters in public places. Such vegetation is teeming with infections and can be poisonous.
How to make stocks
Proper collection of hay for your pet is not so simple. The best place for security is its own courtyard, but a small percentage of the population has such an opportunity. Therefore, just try to tear plants away from civilization, in the lap of nature. Gardening enthusiasts can try to grow fodder greens for their pets right on the windowsill or on the balcony.
You should understand that hay is one of the components of the hamster’s diet, which also includes cereals, fruits, etc. The animal needs a varied vitamin diet. Do hamsters eat grass from birth? It is better to start with the hamster reaching the age of one month – when the ventricle is sufficiently strong. The first servings should be small and consist of soft species. Look at whether the baby eats this or that species with pleasure.