Pros and Cons of Purchased Balls
The advantages of buying a ball are obvious, as they can greatly facilitate the care of a rodent. Moreover, such a purchase is relevant for hamsters, as they are physically active animals. In just one day, the hamster is able to make hundreds of circles, being in a similar attraction. It is also important to say that the hamster needs such loads, as this is due to its nature.
An ordinary running wheel does a good job of this, but a walking ball for hamsters can significantly expand the horizons of a rodent and give it the opportunity to leave the cage or aquarium without worrying about its safety. It is worth noting that running in a ball is not as simple as running in a wheel, here the hamster will have to try pretty hard to get to the place of interest to him.
Speaking about the disadvantages, it is worth saying that the shortcomings of the walking ball are often due to flaws in its design. For example, there are some models in which the manufacturer does not account for ventilation openings, such balls are usually not recommended for purchase. In addition to the fact that through them the animal will have access to oxygen, with the help of these holes all natural feces can be freely displayed outside.
It should be noted that over time, fastenings in the ball can wear out. Thus, the risk that the ball cap may open involuntarily increases when the hamster makes another bend. So that the animal is not injured, check each time before use how securely the ball is closed.
How to choose a suitable ball
It is natural that the size and diameter of the toy should be selected strictly individually, depending on the size of your pet. If you are the owner of a small hamster, for example, a dwarf one, you should give preference to the smallest ball, it does not seem difficult to find it. If you have a well-fed and tall hamster, feel free to buy a walking ball for hamsters with a maximum diameter, a ball for a Dzungarian hamster in this case will not work.
Pay attention to what kind of plastic was used for the toy. You should refuse to buy if the plastic seemed too fragile for you, such a ball for a hamster will break in the near future and you will have to make a purchase again. In addition, it is important to pay attention to how the door is arranged, ideally, the design should be reliable and have a strong lock so that the hamster does not fall out of the device during the walk.
Probably, many owners of domestic rodents sometimes ask questions – how to make a walking ball for a hamster with their own hands at home? The following paragraph is devoted to this issue. In fact, it’s not difficult to make such an accessory with your own hands. We suggest you use several ways.
A plastic ball is one of the most optimal options. It is quite light, so your pet will be able to move around without problems. In addition, it is possible to make holes for ventilation in it without problems.
To build an accessory with your own hands, you will need a plastic bottle of small sizes. For example, it is quite possible to use a plastic milk bottle, since it is quite light and has small dimensions. In addition, such bottles usually have thick necks, which will allow your pet to climb into it without hindrance.
So, the vents cut through the bottle. Inside, the pet starts, the lid closes. Thus, he will be able to exploit it.
The advantages of such accessories are obvious:
- ease of manufacturing toys;
- light weight, which allows the pet to move easily;
- lack of financial implementation costs.
Another cheap option for creating a do-it-yourself rodent ball is to make an accessory out of an ordinary plastic bucket. For example, ice cream or dairy products are sold in such pails. Of course, it is necessary that the bucket is transparent, so that the rodent sees where to run.
Take a bucket and wash it thoroughly from the remnants of the ice cream that was inside. Wipe the inside dry. Holes must be done with an awl at the bottom and on the lid of the bucket. By the way, even a large rodent can fit into such a bucket. When the hamster got inside, close the lid tightly and send your pet for a walk.
In principle, any similar capacity can be used for such purposes. The main thing is that it is not heavy, so that the animal can move without problems. In addition, it must be transparent so that the pet can see everything, and, of course, the plastic should not be too thick so that holes can be made in it without problems.
Now that you know everything about the details of the device, we will go directly to the topic of how to make a walking ball for a hamster with your own hands. In fact, it is not as difficult as it might seem at first glance.
This is the easiest and most popular method of making balls with your own hands. Let’s move on to the manufacturing technique:
- Find a transparent plastic bottle with a sufficiently large diameter and a wide neck (often use milk bottles, but not the fact that they will suit your little animal, see the fact).
- Make sure that in such plastic you can make ventilation holes and pre-train on unnecessary bottles.
- If the trial attempts to cut the ventilation holes have been successful, go to the main bottle. If you have the necessary tools, you can try to make a couple of holes in the bottle cap, in fact, it will not give big improvements, so they are intended more for your peace of mind.
- When everything is ready, the matter remains small, not to cause the hamster to immediately want to run away at the sight of a toy, we will talk more about this in the section "we teach the hamster to use the ball".
Out of the bucket
Another option for making a walking sphere is from a bucket. This method is somewhat more difficult to implement, but in a small bucket, the hamster will be more spacious than in a bottle. The difficulty is that the plastic used to make the buckets is thicker and stronger, most likely you will need some skills in building tools.
The procedure is as follows:
- Find a transparent plastic bucket that is suitable for your rodent, you can see the dishes from cotton candy, mayonnaise or something else, but be sure to rinse it well, the hamster may refuse to approach the ball due to smells.
- Make ventilation holes, you will need to choose tools depending on the thickness of the plastic, if it is very strong and dense and there is no other, try using a drill. If you are not sure that you can handle it, do not take risks, ask others to help.
- When you have cut out all the ventilation holes, evaluate the weight of the product, whether the hamster can move comfortably in it, and then present your work to the animal.
- Be careful with the lid, if it is too easy to open, keep an eye on the hamster while walking, as finding a small deserter in the apartment will not be the easiest task.
Is it possible to make a ball yourself
Many hamster owners are wondering how to make a ball for a hamster with their own hands, is this possible? Our answer is yes, it’s real, and this is what will be discussed later. Most commonly used methods are:
- platinum bottle walking ball
- plastic bucket ball
It is worth saying that walking balls for hamsters from a plastic bottle is the most common and optimal option. The device turns out to be quite lightweight, which will contribute to the trouble-free movement of the hamster in the territory of the house. It is worth saying that in this design it will be possible to easily make all the proper holes that will serve as ventilation for the rodent.
To make the ball yourself at home, you will need a plastic bottle, and you should also choose it, starting from what size your hamster is. Most often, owners of hamsters give preference to bottles of milk, it is believed that they are most convenient to use because of the wide neck.
You need to make several holes in the plastic for ventilation, then open the lid and start the hamster. After that, the lid is carefully screwed and your pet is ready for new discoveries.
As you may have already noted, making such a ball for a hamster is more than simple. If you note all the advantages of this design, they will sound like this:
- Easy to make toys
- Light weight, which will facilitate free movement
- The price of the toy is zero, since you do not have to buy any special parts and accessories. Answering the question how much a ball costs for a hamster, what is its price, you can safely answer – not at all, since you made a ball for hamsters with your own hands.
Having made such a vehicle for your rodent, you will not only increase the level of his physical fitness, but also positively affect the overall mental development. The fact is that the animal will have to think hard to understand how to manage such a structure so that the hamster runs in the ball.
The next option for making a plastic ball for a hamster is a design based on a regular plastic bucket. Here it is important to immediately identify one nuance – the bucket must be transparent, otherwise the hamster will simply not see anything while inside the ball. For this version of the bowl, a transparent bucket with a lid is ideal, in which dairy products, for example, cottage cheese, are often sold.
The first thing you need to take care of is cleanliness, you must carefully remove all leftover food, after the surface of the bucket should be thoroughly wiped dry, this can be done with a kitchen towel. The next step, as in the previous case, will be the manufacture of ventilation holes, in no case do not forget that they are necessary.
When all the manipulations are done, feel free to put the hamster in and close the lid tightly. Now the pet is ready for a fascinating walk around the house. It is worth saying that this option is suitable not only for hamsters, but also for larger rodents, since the volume of the bucket is quite large. Also, this option will be an excellent ball for the Syrian hamster.