What is the difference between Dzungarian hamsters and Syrian hamsters
According to unofficial data, about 95% of domestic hamsters are representatives of the Dzungarian or Syrian golden breed. Between themselves, they differ in appearance and habits.
Consider them in more detail in the table.
At what age is the easiest to know sex
Obvious signs of females and males are evident in sexually mature rodents. Consequently, the older the pets, the less problems arise with their gender identification. It is practically not realistic to find differences between the reproductive organs of girls and boys in hamsters who are under 4 weeks old.
In addition, difficulties are associated with the fact that at this age the animals are categorically not recommended to pick up and palpate.
Based on this, experts advise in the first month of life not to disturb small rodents while they are next to their mother. Already at 35–40 days of age, the brood needs to be settled in different cells. It is then that you have to find out where the females are and where the males are.
How to distinguish Dzungarian hamsters: a boy and a girl
Experienced hamsters warn that these kinds of pets react very painfully to rude behavior. Therefore, they should be picked up very carefully so as not to frighten. There are several ways to recognize the reproductive organs of females and males.
Many livestock farmers distinguish Dzungarian hamsters by external characteristics.
In this aspect, attention should be paid to such signs of females:
- big sizes;
- less thick and short hair (do not forget that the quality of the fur of animals depends largely on the conditions of their maintenance, health status and genetic characteristics);
- lack of a navel (in males it is clearly expressed);
- rounded back (in a sexually mature male, the end of the back is pointed and “looks up”).
In order to understand who is who, just watch the pets.
From an early age, females of the Dzungarian hamsters differ:
- increased activity (males are characterized by phlegmatism);
- aggressiveness in relation to each attempt of the owner to touch or pick up (can even bite).
However, trusting only the listed signs is not worth it, because each animal has individual characteristics in its behavior.
This method is considered the most accurate.
The technique of examining animals is carried out in 2 ways:
- Gently grab the hamster in your palm, gently holding it with your thumb. In this case, the tail of the body must remain uncovered so that it is possible to examine the genitals of the animal. Hold it down if necessary.
- Gently take the pet by the base of the head and lay it on the palm of the other hand with the abdomen up. At the same time, gently hold it with your thumb.
If during the inspection the pet begins to spin, it is better to leave him alone, putting off his venture until better times. It is important that your actions do not scare the animal. In case of obedience, pay attention to its genital organs.
However, do not forget that the Dzungarian hamsters have too little genitals, and young animals are also underdeveloped.
The following features are characteristic of males:
- the presence of testes, which are convex formations of the amygdala in the perineum (increase with age);
- a large distance between the anus and the urogenital canal (this place is densely covered with hair in male animals).
Females are characterized by:
- the distance between the genitals and the anus is not more than 3 cm (usually this place is covered with wool);
- the presence of 2 rows of tiny papillae that stretch from the chest to the bottom of the abdomen (their number usually does not exceed 8).
We hope our article helped you determine the gender of your hamsters. Now you know how to distinguish domestic hamsters by gender, how to take animals for inspection and what to look for.