Choosing a hamster is a responsible matter. For the right choice, you must independently learn to determine the gender of the hamster and his age. If you know how to determine the age of the Dzungarian and Syrian hamster without any help, then no seller can sell you a small animal in his advanced years, posing as a youngster. It is important to consider the fact that not every seller knows how to determine the age of the animal.
Five ways to find out the age of a rodent
The exact number of weeks since the hamster’s birth is impossible to find out even for an experienced professional, so age is determined with approximately minor errors. Animals are divided into three categories: young, adult and old. If the hamster is less than 1 month old, then the cub will have to be fed milk on its own using a pipette. If you are not sure that the task is within your power, it is best to refuse the purchase. In such a childhood, the animal has not yet learned to eat itself, and feeding should occur at intervals of 2-3 hours.
- Behavior. A young animal from the old is easy to identify by behavioral signs. Dzungarian, Syrian or any other breed of a hamster in adulthood gives a lot of time to sleep and rest. They eat much less food and often sleep. Young people lead a very active lifestyle, which attracts the attention of future owners, especially the children’s half. Immediately after waking up, the young hamster begins to chew, run and explore the territory;
- Wool around ears. Aging animals will be distinguished by the almost complete absence of wool. The ears of young rodents are always covered with a thin wool layer of white shades;
- Eyes. They will always tell you correctly how to find out the age of a hamster. Clouded eyes, which are a harbinger of the short life of the animal, tell about old age or disease. Shiny, clean eyes testify to the youth and good health of the animal. With proper care, such a hamster will delight you for a long time;
- Wool condition. Rodents begin to become covered with hair and acquire a visible color only at the age of 5-6 days, completely wool forms by 15 days of life. Wool is especially bright and looks more like a light fluff than hairs. If the hamster has a bright coat, on which bald patches are visible, this means a disease or molt. These same signs indicate the youth of the rodent and most likely that his age has not crossed the monthly line;
- Weight. One of the main ways to determine the age of the hamster of the Dzungarian hamster and its other breeds of other species. During the first 3 months from birth, the animals weigh no more than 40 g, so be sure to weigh the rodent before buying. The recommended purchase age is from 3 to 12 months, ideal is from 1 to 3 months.
Rodent life span
The number of weeks already lived by the hamster directly affects the duration of the remaining life, so it is important to acquire a young animal. In addition to age, the following factors are of great importance:
- genetic features;
- the conditions in which the animal was kept before the purchase;
- nutrition rules;
- quality of care.
Providing the jungarik with good conditions and balanced nutrition, he will be able to live up to 3 three years. In the wild, animals exist almost half as much, because in the open they face many dangers. Life in the cage is calm, relieves forced hunger and colds, greatly increasing the ability of Dzungarian hamsters to live longer.
Syrian species are superior to the Dzungar in size and are considered the largest among domestic rodents. There is no difference in age between these breeds. Collections of Dzungarian hamsters in 1 month are as small and light. Just past the 30-day milestone, they will vary in volume, and the weight of an adult Syrian hamster will average 115 g. Hard-to-touch wool tells about old age, smooth and soft – about youth and health.
Years of rodents in terms of human
To determine the age of a hamster by human standards, you can use a simple mathematical calculation. The lifespan of animals is 2-3 years. The average line of a person stops at around 60-70 years. Accordingly, 2 hamster years are 60 human. Then we look how old the hamster is by human standards in different periods:
- at the age of 6 months, your hamster can safely be called a 12-year-old;
- in a one-year-old – a young rodent;
- and at 1.5, the hamster will fully begin to move towards inevitable old age.
Do not forget that the youth and youth of your beloved Syrian or Dzungarian hamster can always be extended with decent care, care and quality nutrition. Take the rodent for examination to the veterinarian, who will be able to identify hereditary diseases in the animal and establish possible risks. Guided by the recommendations of a doctor, you will help your pet avoid ailments and prolong life.