Keeping hamsters is quite simple, as they are completely unpretentious in care. When they appear in the house, these animals quickly get used to their master and easily adapt to life in captivity. The most popular breed of hamsters for home maintenance is the Dzungarian. Along with them, Syrian rodents are also widespread. Despite the minimum care requirements, certain recommendations must be taken into account.
The house for the rodent depends on the size of the pet. Dzungarian hamsters are a small breed that can cost one floor.
For larger animals, for example, Syrian hamsters, several levels are made.
The most popular houses for rodents:
To properly equip a home, the following devices will be required:
- one. Filler. So that there is no unpleasant odor near the house with the hamster, you need to regularly wash it and pour filler. It must be granular or extruded. You can use sawdust, in which animals love to bury themselves before going to bed.
- 2. Feeders. There should be a drinking bowl and two feeders in the dwelling: for dry and fresh food.
- 3. Devices for a point of teeth. Hamsters have teeth growing throughout their lives, so they need special tools for their point. It can be mineral stones, wooden blocks, dried branches of fruit trees.
- four. Running wheel. Thanks to him, rodents maintain themselves in great shape. It should not have slots for paws and fingers.
Hamster running wheel
In addition to all of the above, you can purchase labyrinths and a walking ball for the hamster.
Hamster Walking Ball
The place for the house needs to be chosen immediately and not rearranged, because this animal does not like frequent changes. His home should not be in a draft and close to young children. Often releasing a beast from it does not make sense. For the realization of energy, he has enough space in his home. Caring for a hamster within a cage is easier and safer.
For the animal to be active, it must be properly fed. For this purpose, specially prepared ready-made mixes are purchased, for example, JR Farm, Benelux Special hamster 2/1 complete mix and dessert, Fiory Criceti, Vitakraft Menu Vital. They include peas, nuts, seeds, corn.
List of natural products that can be given to hamsters:
- one. Cottage cheese and kefir. Dairy products contain protein, which is useful for the teeth, hair and claws of a pet.
- 2. Boiled eggs, fish, meat. Raw meat should not be given to rodents, it must be boiled. The best option for this diet component is beef, turkey, chicken, pork pulp, veal.
- 3. Porridge. rice, oat, buckwheat.
- four. Vegetables. fresh cucumbers, peeled tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, green salad, Beijing cabbage. Carrots and pumpkin. only in the form of goodies. Under the ban potatoes.
- five. Fruits, especially apples, pears, bananas, grape flesh. Of these, stones and stalks should be removed.
- 6. Sunflower and pumpkin seeds, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts. But it must be borne in mind that cereals cause obstruction of the intestine, since they contain a large amount of fatty acids.
Particular attention is paid to the drinking regimen of the pet. The water in the drinker needs to be changed every day, and per day he should drink 7-10 ml of filtered liquid.
Rodents eat 2 times a day. Since the main time the animals are awake is night, they get most of the nutrients late in the evening. This rule also applies to perishable products – they are given at night, and in the morning the remains are removed from the cage. Hamsters are very sensitive and easily poisoned. Particular attention should be paid to the freshness of food.
Dzungarian hamsters, unlike Syrian hamsters, are prone to diabetes. Therefore, they should not be fed with fresh sweet fruits.
Very heavy food for rodents is potatoes, onions and garlic. Banned fatty, spicy and salty foods, sweets: