All owners of hamsters have heard about the cleanliness of these animals. But very few people know that fluffy can be taught to do their wet business in a certain place. But this would help maintain the sanitary condition of the hamster cage at a high level. Therefore, we want to tell you how to train a hamster in the toilet. The main thing in this business is to show persistence and patience.
Nonsense or the norm?
General cleaning in a hamster’s apartment should be carried out at least once a week. During this time, the litter is already saturated with portions of urine, bacteria multiply quickly in it, it starts to smell unpleasant. Neither the hamsters themselves nor their owners like this. If the fluffy cage is quite small, then it needs to be cleaned twice a week. But still every day you need to scrub out her hamster poop.
So that life does not turn into a continuous general cleaning, you can try to train a nimble animal to send its natural needs to a certain territory and even put a small closet in that place! Do you think this is a joke? Do not rush to make such a conclusion. A toilet for a hamster is not nonsense, but quite normal. After all, cleanliness is the norm for these neat animals.
If your pet learns to use the toilet, then:
- you don’t have to look for wet litter and feces throughout the cage, it will be enough to shake out the contents of the closet every morning;
- as a result, the cell will not smell unpleasant;
- the interval between general cleaning can be stretched from 7 days to 10;
- the hamster will walk on a dry litter, which will several times reduce the risk of getting a cold disease;
- pathogens will not multiply so fast.
We select a place for closet
Do not know where to put the "corner of thought"? Then ask your furry pet about it. Of course, you won’t get an oral answer, but observing the animal will tell you.
The first days of being in your home, a homa under stress will crap everywhere. Then he will calm down a bit and realize that he will have to live in this place. He will begin to take care of his new home – and first of all, about his sanitary and hygienic condition. A week after getting used to the house, you will notice that the hamster has chosen a place for himself to cope with. This is where the outhouse will be.
Typically, rodents do their dirty deeds in any of the corners that are away from the bowl. In fact, the corner is a great place for a closet. But sometimes there are 2-3 such places. And some hamsters can’t tolerate adaptation to a new place of residence, so they practically do not leave the mini-house and crap right there. In this case, sacrifice that little house to the animal, since the Homa is already used to helping there.
But now the animal began to “walk to a specific address,” what step should be next? Of course, the choice of a structure that will stand in the coveted corner.
There are a number of details that you need to pay attention to:
- The size of the structure and the width of the entrance. For Jungar hamsters, buildings of this type are made small, while Syrians have toilets 2-3 times larger.
- The form. The latrine for a Syrian hamster must be either triangular at the base or square. And for the Dzungarian hamster, any shape is suitable – even a round one!
- Design. It is better to purchase a toilet, consisting of a top and a tray. If you buy a cast house, it will be more difficult to clean it.
- Material. Be sure to make sure that the "secret room" is made of safe plastic. The seller must have a certificate of conformity.
- Sustainability. If the structure is not stable, the homa will periodically overturn it. It’s good if there are hooks on the back of this piece of furniture to attach to the cage.
- Accessories Some manufacturers produce kits, which include the closet itself, filler and cleaning paddle.
Of course, attention should be paid to the price, but it is not decisive in this case. Therefore, get the model that you can afford.
Toilets from the following manufacturers are considered to be very practical, convenient and stylish:
- Trixie (corner without roof). The simplest model that you can imagine is similar to a baby potty J. The size is quite large (16 cm is the base of the triangle), so it fits the Syrian hamster. The cost is from 100 rubles.
- Super Pet Set. Oval plastic box of 2 parts, a sachet with a filler and a special scoop are also included in the kit. The length is 14 cm, so this closet is suitable for both Dzungarian hamsters and Syrians. The price of the set is 500 rubles.
- Savic hamster toilet. Rectangular closet with two entrances. Its length is 17 cm, the entrance is located at the level of 4 cm, so such a latrine is not suitable for the dzhungarik, but the Syrian will be just right. The price bites a bit, given that this is not a set – 600 rubles.
- Ferplast Koky Set. Outwardly similar to Super Pet, it also contains a filler and a spatula, but a little longer in length (18 cm). Made of non-toxic material, costs 450 rubles.
We build a closet with our own hands
You have no idea how to make a toilet for a hamster with your own hands? Yes, there is nothing easier! Here are some interesting and simple ideas:
- Glass jar (0.5 L). There is nothing to do with it, just put the cells on the bottom and place the filler inside. Galyun is ready! It is durable, practical, and it is also very easy to wash.
- Food container. Take a plastic jar and at a distance of 1 cm from the bottom cut a round hole with a diameter of 5 cm (for the Dzungarian hamster) or 7 cm (for the Syrian). Do not forget to polish the edges or glue the slices with adhesive tape, otherwise the tiny hamster may get hurt. Now fill the filler – and the rodent restroom is ready!
- Cardboard box. Many buy dairy products in a paper bundle. The milk carton is strong enough to make a temporary latrine for a furry friend. Just like in the previous version, a round hole is cut out. The disadvantages of this closet are its fragility (it will have to be additionally attached to the cage) and fragility: after all, hamsters love to gnaw cardboard.
As you can see, there is nothing easier than to build a latrine for a fluffy pet. Even kindergarteners cope with such a simple task with a bang!
We select a filler
The litter in the toilet should absorb liquids. It’s good if it consists of completely natural materials. But veterinarians do not recommend using hay for these purposes, because it enhances the smell of urine.
- Lauron. Corn litter, which does not cause allergies in a tiny animal. This filler is economical and inexpensive: a package of 5 l is enough for 2 months (if scattered throughout the cage), and it costs about 140 rubles;
- Cat’s Best Universal. Suitable not only for pussies, but also for small rodents. This wood filler perfectly absorbs urine, blocks odors. It is also very economical and decomposes quickly. True, it costs a little: 400 rubles for 7 liters;
- Clean paws. Small wood pellets. 60 rubles for 4 liters;
- Chistyulya Waka. Wood litter, which is produced specifically for small rodents. Does not prick paws, absorbs urine well, does not allow odors to spread. 50 rubles for 2 liters.
We accustom a hamster to a toilet
So, the construction of the toilet was bought, the litter, too, it was time to figure out how to train a hamster in the toilet. If you simply put the closet on the place you love, the animal is unlikely to understand why this booth is needed. It’s all about smells, because the new latrine doesn’t smell at all what it should (that is, the hamster itself and bowel movements). But the animal can be slightly deceived!
Here is an instruction on how to train a Dzungarian hamster in a restroom (it will also be suitable for hamsters of other breeds):
- Notice where the hamster meets his needs, and let him remember this place.
- Then put a new closet at that place, pouring fresh filler into it mixed with the one on which the homa has already peed.
- The hamster will come to a familiar place and see a restroom there. He can immediately go in there and do his own thing, or take trouble next to him. In this case, continue the focus with the used filler and wait. Sooner or later, the fluffy will visit the closet.
- If you notice that your pet has used the toilet, use mixed filler for another week, daily reducing the amount of litter used. This is the consolidation phase.
- Soon, the hamster will recognize the restroom not only by smell, but also visually. From this moment, when cleaning, put only clean litter in the toilet.
Of course, there are such rodents that do not want to accustom themselves to latrine in any way. But such pussies are not common, because hygiene is the second "I" of hamsters!
If you manage to teach your furry friend to go to the restroom, this will positively affect his health. In addition, the hamster’s house will not smell like urine, and general cleaning will be required less often. When teaching fluffy, the main thing is to have patience and perform all the steps in sequence.