Properly selected house for a hamster directly affects the quality of life and the health of the pet. What cage is needed for a Syrian hamster? The modern market for such products offers a wide range of such designs. In this article we will tell you how to choose the right house, which is suitable in all respects for this breed of the Khomyakov family.
Dimensions of cells for Syrian hamsters
Given the size of this subspecies: the body length is 13 cm, weight is 100-130 g, he needs a large-sized cage. In it, he can easily move and feel comfortable.
It is worthwhile to understand that compact cages with a semicircular top (35×20 cm), which are mainly chosen for Dzungarian hamsters, are definitely not suitable for Syrians. This design must be used to transport the animal or for the temporary relocation of one individual at the time of cleaning the main housing.
The most suitable option
The best option for a Syrian hamster will be a parallelepiped-shaped design. Its dimensions are 37x27x36 cm. It is desirable that it consist of two floors. Remember, the more space for the rodent to move, the healthier it will be.
It is also worth considering that the rodent’s housing needs to be equipped with additional attributes – a toilet, two feeding troughs, a drinking bowl, a wheel and other items for active time during a hamster. All this requires space.
It will be better if the dimensions of the second floor correspond to the dimensions of the first. You can connect them by stairs. So hamsters can easily move from one room to another without risk of injury.
A spacious house is important for hamsters
Some livestock farmers manage to combine the two cells together, others connect with a terrarium or an aquarium. This combination allows you to make not only a multi-level design, but also to arrange loopholes between hamster houses.
Syrian hamsters living in a spacious house will feel comfortable. In a large dwelling, it is possible to set different attributes for the active lifestyle of a hamster.
When buying a cage for such a pet, consider the following recommendations:
- The large dimensions of the base of the cell for the Syrian are much more important than the number of floors in it.
- In a too cramped room, the hamster becomes inactive, resulting in an increased risk of obesity and inactivity. Such a rodent will not live long and will hardly reach the age of one and a half years. When kept in a spacious room, a Syrian hamster can live 2-3 years.
- If you decide to use a multi-level design, then the optimal distance between floors should be at least 30 cm.
- The door should be wide enough so that you can easily remove the pet.
- The bottom should be plastic. The trellised bottom does not fit this pet – there is a high risk of leg injury. In addition, the bottom of the plastic is easy to clean.
- As for the weaving of the cage, for such a large-sized animal, designs with a weaving frequency of 0.5-1 cm can be used. For young animals, it is recommended to use a cage in which the distance between the rods is not more than 0.5 cm.
- Given that hamsters constantly gnaw rods for grinding teeth, choose a design with unpainted stainless steel partitions.
- And the last advice – try to keep the cage clean, do timely cleaning. Keeping it clean will make your Syrian hamster not only attractive, but also healthy.
Comfortable conditions for a hamster to stay largely depend on where the structure will be installed. The room should be with good lighting.
The temperature in the room should be stable and not lower than 18 degrees. Try to install the cage away from heaters and direct sunlight.
While airing the room, take the cage to another place to avoid overcooling the rodent from drafts.