When composing a diet for a hamster, do not forget that initially it was a wild animal and lived in the steppe. In the wild, forage for the animal was served by crops, plant roots, seeds, potatoes, tubers, insects. Hamster nutrition at home is different, but should not differ dramatically. All food can be divided into: mandatory for intake; necessary, but with limitations; strictly forbidden. The basis of the diet should be a feed mixture – a source of strength and health. Be sure to dilute dry food with natural products such as vegetables, herbs, fruits, meat, fish, berries.
Can hamsters get strawberries? We will talk about this below.
The benefits of strawberries
The benefits of strawberries are undeniable. It is not only possible for hamsters, but also must be given as a treat and a source of numerous vitamins, such as vitamin A and C, vitamins of groups B, C, E. In addition, strawberries have a number of healing properties necessary for the animal’s body, contains antioxidants and Minerals: iron, potassium, magnesium, folic acid, zinc, manganese, copper. Consider what properties this berry is valuable for hamsters:
- All the vitamins that the strawberry berry contains, in general, have a positive effect on the functionality of the eyes, heart, and liver of the animal.
- Cancer Prevention. Bioflavonoids, antioxidants and vitamin C inhibit the formation of cancer cells and gene mutations.
- It is recommended to give elderly animals suffering from anorexia to improve appetite.
- It has a diuretic effect. Removes excess fluid from the hamster’s body. Good prevention of a disease of the genitourinary system such as cystitis.
- Arthritis is a common disease among small animals. It affects the knee, elbow and hip joints. The disease is easier to prevent than to treat. Strawberries in this case are an excellent preventive measure, especially for dwarf Dzungarian hamsters because of their small stature.
- Useful for pregnant females. Protects embryos in the process of formation from harmful environmental factors, prevents the development of birth defects, saturates growing organisms with vitamins and minerals. It nourishes the mother’s body, compensates for the missing amount of iodine.
- Strawberries contain a large amount of iodine. Its moderate consumption contributes to the positive functioning of the central nervous system, endocrine system.
- Hamsters at the age of two to three years need additional vitamins and minerals. Thanks to antioxidants, strawberries protect the body as a whole, slows down brain aging.
- Indispensable for vitamin deficiency due to the high content of vitamins C and A.
- Prevention of tooth and gum disease.
- Folic acid is responsible for the growth and preservation of the immune system of a small pet. Strawberry restores lost immunity. Give the animal a strawberry in order to prevent colds and flu.
- It helps with constipation. Improves the digestive system and metabolism. Helps to easily and painlessly empty the intestines.
- With diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Moderate berry intake reduces flatulence and bloating. Enriches the intestinal microflora with beneficial microorganisms.
- Strawberries are not only a valuable food product, they help the hamster’s body absorb other beneficial substances, such as protein.
- Prevention of intestinal infections, staphylococci, pneumococci
- Low calorie. 100 g total 40 calories. Hamsters who are overweight or obese can be given as treats instead of high-calorie nuts and seeds.
- Strawberries are a good antimicrobial. Kills germs in the nasopharynx. Prevents the disease SARS. It is necessary for Dzungarian hamsters prone to frequent colds. The treatment in this case is to increase immunity, protect the sick body from pathogenic microflora and saturate it with vitamins.
- Useful for dysbiosis. Helps to restore intestinal microflora, normalizes its motility.
Strawberries are able to preserve their healing properties in frozen form. Thus, in the spring-autumn period, when animals need additional vitamins and minerals, you will always have at hand with what you can pamper your pet. Remember that thawed berries can not be stored for a long time, otherwise it will lose its beneficial properties.
Harm from strawberries
Strawberries can be hamsters, but only if you observe moderation and do not overfeed your pet. Since, along with useful properties, berries can cause irreparable harm to a small animal. Consider which one:
- Diabetes is a common disease among hamsters. Due to the large amount of glucose contained in strawberries, it is contraindicated in animals with this type of disease.
- Overeating strawberries can lead to the development of allergic reactions in a healthy individual. It is forbidden to hamsters – allergy sufferers in principle.
- Like any fruit or berry, strawberries in large quantities can cause diarrhea. If you do not take action, then diarrhea will lead to dehydration of the body or to prolapse of the rectum.
- Strawberries increase acidity in the stomach. Perhaps the development of diseases such as gastritis, gastric ulcer.
- It has a great diuretic effect, because 100g of strawberries contains almost 90g of water. Excessive eating of the berry can cause an increased burden on the kidneys and, as a result, death.