Pets are completely dependent on the owners and it is important to know what they really need. Love for animals is manifested in caring for them. Knowledge is also needed in order to ensure a safe and comfortable keeping the hamster at home.
The hamster will delight with its presence, will not bring problems to the owners, if you make sure that the habitat is completely satisfied with the animal.
Caring for a hamster at home is easy if you immediately purchase a house for him and equip it with everything you need.
The cage should be spacious enough. When buying, pay attention to the location of the rods. They should be placed horizontally so that the hamster at home feels free and can climb the walls to any height.
Minimum dimensions are 30 × 50 cm, 25 cm high. If the cage is larger, this will only please the pet.
Instructions for the care of hamsters provides the right choice of place for the cage:
- comfortable temperature in the room for the animal from 20 to 24 degrees;
- direct sunlight should not fall on the cage;
- it is unacceptable to place the animal near heating boilers, radiators;
- it is dangerous to put a house on a draft;
- noise from the TV, other devices should not disturb the pet;
- the cage must be positioned so that it is not reached by small children and pets;
- the room should be easily ventilated.
When choosing a place for the animal, you need to consider that younger members of the family can take care of the hamster. Another feature: the rodent loves to sleep during the day, develops activity at night and makes noise.
Sometimes they get out of the situation and put the hamster in an aquarium or a three-liter jar. An aquarium (without water) can be adapted if it is spacious, which cannot be said about the bank. For a rodent, such housing can only be used during the cleaning of the cage.
How to take care of hamsters: daily care
Daily care of the hamster includes the usual procedures: balanced feeding and maintaining cleanliness. It is necessary to give him the opportunity to lead an active lifestyle and contact with family members.
Products that are on the hamster’s menu:
- oat grains and cereals, wheat, corn, barley, rice, buckwheat, peas – for a daily diet;
- sunflower seeds, pumpkin, sesame seeds, flax, walnut kernels – as a treat;
- boiled chicken, boiled chicken or quail egg, boiled fish, low-fat cottage cheese – 2-3 times a week;
- dill, leaves and stalks of dandelion, lettuce, spinach – as a small dietary supplement;
- cucumbers, broccoli, white cabbage and boiled beets in small quantities to avoid indigestion;
- crusts of bread (preferably rye, bran, whole grain);
- dried fruits, dried without the use of preservatives and sugar;
- apples, carrots and bananas will please the rodent.
In addition to the listed products, you can feed hamsters with grapes, removing seeds from the berry, since they carry a risk of airway obstruction. Raisin is a holiday for a hamster who loves the smell of dried grapes and feels pleasant emotions when eating it.
Products that should not be given to your pet in order to avoid health problems: cookies, potatoes, salted cheese, tomatoes, pineapple, almonds, tangerines, oranges. It is strictly forbidden to give the animal chocolate, even in a small amount it is poisonous to it.
Proper care of the pet suggests that it should always have food and water. The animal itself knows how much and when to eat it. Hamsters do not suffer from overeating.
They don’t salt meat and fish for the hamster; they minimize the sweet foods. The emphasis during feeding is on the variety of feed and environmental friendliness. It is dangerous to give the animal greens or vegetables with a high nitrate content.
Keeping a hamster requires regular cleaning of the cage and equipment. First, the rodent is sent to a safe place so that it does not run away. A cardboard box is not the most reasonable solution, because a hamster can easily bite a hole and crawl out. A temporary housing can be a tank with high smooth walls (pot, jar) or another cell.
Wash the pan, the sleeping house, the feeder and the drinker under running water using a brush. From detergents you can use baking soda and laundry soap. Care for hamsters does not allow the use of household chemicals, which include chlorine or acid.
The equipment is wiped dry with a rag or carried out in the sun. When changing the litter, a small part of the old chips is left to preserve the smell of the pet. It is enough to wipe the rods of the cage with a clean damp cloth. Wipe wood elements without detergents. The last step is to fill the drinker with clean water.
When changing the litter, you need to make sure that you do not destroy the buildings of the animal. It will be stressful for him not to see his “nest” when he returns.
Hamsters do not belong to pets that are willing to make contact. They must be gradually accustomed to this. The only way is through feeding.
Handing out the hamster another "delicious", you need to affectionately pronounce his name. And to do this repeatedly until the animal gets used to the voice of the owner and is filled with confidence in him.
Usually animals are bought for children who like to take care of hamsters. Children need to be taught how to communicate with a pet. Explain that the animal can not be "squeezed" in the hands, it is very gentle, it is easy to injure. It is safe to carry the hamster in the palms, folding them with a house.
If there is a desire to let the animal out of the cage, this should only be done in a room where it cannot hide or run away. When communication takes place on the couch, you need to remember that the animal does not understand the danger of height. A hamster can be injured if it falls from a sofa, chair or table. It is better to communicate with the pet in the evening, when it is most active.
You should not wake the animal, raise your voice in his presence, frighten in any way. He will not understand such games, but he can refuse contact for a long time.
Hamsters are active by nature, for them, movement is the basis of good health. To ensure that the hamster’s life at home is not a burden, it is necessary to provide the pet with the opportunity to move as much as he wants.
But this does not mean that the animal must be walked on the street, like a dog. Freedom in this case means a great danger associated with infections, other animals. In addition, a change of scenery for him is stressful.
Catching a hamster not accustomed to the hands of the owner is very difficult. Even in an ordinary room, the animal can die: cut the electric cable, eat a poisonous plant, get stuck somewhere.
Hamster Stress Management
The hamster at home can be subjected to various stresses, which negatively affects health, and can cause a heart attack in the animal.
The following factors can negatively affect the psychological state of a small pet:
- dirty litter that does not change for a long time;
- lack of water in the drinker;
- turning on the light at night;
- loud or sharp sounds;
- the appearance of another animal;
- moving the cage to another room.
Sharing a “friend” with an adult animal can provoke stress and cause depression. Hamsters can get along together only if they are accustomed to each other from early childhood.
Essential Elements in the Cell
The animal’s dwelling is divided into conditional zones: the place where he eats, a bedroom, a playroom and a toilet. In order to provide the animal with a comfortable “life”, the cage should have the necessary items to care for the hamster:
- two feeders – for dry feed and greens (fresh vegetables and fruits);
- a drinking bowl, preferably automatic (a container and a tube with a locking ball at the end, touching which the pet can drink water drop by drop);
- granular or extruded filler, conventional sawdust absorbing unpleasant odors;
- the mineral stone that the rodent needs to maintain the shape of the teeth;
- place for the toilet, the litter of which should be regularly changed;
- jogging equipment, any special training equipment for rodents (for example, a wheel).
For your beloved animal, you can purchase other accessories that will delight him and help communicate with your pet.
If you know how to care for a hamster, and apply it in practice, the pet will be healthy and active. The rules of care are simple. It takes a little time to feed, fill the drinker with water and clean the cage.
Children are usually enthusiastic about small rodents and can watch them for hours. Anyone who cares about hamsters takes great pleasure in contact with a funny animal that can cheer up on the saddest autumn day.